The main attributes of the database and DBMS.
A kinddatabaseIs a collection ofinformationCarefully organized into a system.
The technology in the computer system allows usSort datawithRepresentative informationThis is essential for information systemsDatabase management system.
DBMS is a software that encapsulates database data. It provides us with a centralized way to store, retrieve, edit, persist the database, and so on.
Let us define some of the main attributes of the DBMS:
- Efficient: The database needs to provide the best performance to store and retrieve data.
- persistent: The data stored in the database is permanently stored. When the database software terminates or the computer restarts, the data (except for hardware failures) should still exist.
- Privacy and security: The database allows us to store data privately and securely. It allows access to multiple users, and each user should only be able to access and edit allowed data. Some users may only be able to access the data, but not edit or delete the data.
- Shared access: Multiple users need to have appropriate permissions to access shared data. Multiple applications can also access the same database.
- big: The database can handle a large amount of data, and can use various advanced technologies to expand according to your needs. This does not mean that a database is only useful when you have a lot of data-due to the attributes listed above, a database is useful even with very few data entries.
There are many different DBMSs on the market. Some are similar to each other, some are completely different.
I will soon detail three popular open source relational database management systems: PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite.
More database tutorials:
- MongoDB basic tutorial
- How is MongoDB different from SQL database
- Information system, data and information
- Data model
- Introduction to ER data model
- Relational model
- Relational algebra
- relational database
- What is a database? There is also a DBMS?
- Introduction to SQL
- How to install PostgreSQL on macOS
- Do you always need to provide a database for the application?
- How to install SQLite on macOS
- Introduction to PostgreSQL
- PostgreSQL user permissions
- How to list all users in PostgreSQL
- How to switch database using PostgreSQL
- How to list all databases using PostgreSQL
- How to use PostgreSQL to list the tables in the current database
- How to install MySQL on macOS
- Create user on MySQL
- PostgreSQL vs MySQL, comparison
- SQLite user permissions
- MySQL user permissions
- SQL, create table
- SQL, add data to the table
- SQL, how to use SELECT
- SQL, handle empty cells
- SQL, unique key and primary key
- SQL, how to update data
- SQL, how to update the table structure
- SQL, how to delete data and tables
- SQL connection
- SQL view
- How to insert multiple items in a MongoDB collection at once
- How to delete all items from MongoDB collection