What is the best way? Why?
I participated in discussions about the use of subdomains and subfolders.
Suppose I want to create a new section on my website dedicated to selling honey.
I do not produce or sell honey, this is just an example. Although a friend of mine has bees and produces his own honey, it tastes good 😋
The "Dear" section of the site will be very large and will have its own application for managing e-commerce.
I can add it to my website in two ways. The first is to use subfolders, as shown below:
The second is through the use of subdomains, for example
The third option is to use your own domain name, for example
flaviohoney.com. But let's concentrate on preserving the original domain.
Subdomains make things easier to manage: you have your own completely independent application or CMS or anything else, if you are using CI/CD, you can store it separately in its Git repository or you can Host it separately on your own host.
I think this is the ideal solution when you use external services like Shopify, because they allow you to use subdomains.
On the other hand, subfolders are more complicated, because unless you come up with a creative approach on the server side (which means you need to manage your own server), all the code must be placed under the original code that manages the main domain.
However, this has a huge advantage, you can move the benchmark to a subfolder method:Search Engine Optimization.
Google has not officially confirmed it, but treats the subdomain as a completely different site from the main domain.
honey.flaviocopes.comWill not inherit the "juice" of SEO
flaviocopes.commight have. Having many subdomains will dilute domain authority on multiple subdomains instead of concentrating them in the main domain.
This reason alone can justify the use
From a brand point of view, I personally don't think there is a difference. For a large project, it is better to have a separate domain, logo and design. But, for example, if this is just an idea or something you want to experiment with, and you don't spend time and effort to establish a separate domain, then the subfolder or subdomain approach will work.
More experimental tutorials:
- The stack I use to run this blog
- 8 good reasons to become a software developer
- SEO for blogging developers
- Recalling "4-Hour Work Week"
- Build a lifestyle business
- Build your own platform
- As an independent manufacturer, which product should you manufacture?
- Create your own job security
- Developers, learning marketing
- Product business freedom
- Generate value
- For your business
- The idea is nothing
- Niche Market
- Remote work for software developers
- Product/market fit
- The best podcasts for front-end developers
- Why create an email list?
- Break the link between time and money
- The scarcity principle applies to software products
- Social proof principle
- How do I add dark mode to my website
- My notes on Deep Work
- Advantages of using a boring stack
- How to estimate programming time
- Become an independent developer
- How to learn how to learn
- Why are interview questions for programming jobs so difficult?
- Do I need a degree to become a programmer?
- Everyone can learn programming
- How to increase productivity
- How to get the actual pageviews of static websites
- Have you filled the developer’s bucket today?
- How do i record my video
- All the software projects I have done in the past
- Tutorial Purgatory from the Perspective of Tutorial Makers
- Every developer should have a blog. This is why and how to stick to it
- Have the business mindset of a developer
- How to write unmaintainable code
- What is imposter syndrome
- How to work from home without going crazy
- How do I make a web prototype
- You should be the worst developer on the team
- How to start a blog with Hugo
- Write things you don't know
- How to use uBlock Origin to stop interference
- Coding is an art
- I wrote a blog post every day for two consecutive years. Here are 5 things I learned from SEO
- Put out the fire
- About becoming a generalist
- The developer's dilemma
- My plan for being hired as a Go developer. In 2017
- Use Mac and iOS devices to improve work efficiency
- How to move from the tutorial to your own project
- This is my little digital garden
- How to start freelancing as a developer
- Share the journey of building a software product business
- Subfolders and subdomains
- How can I use text extensions to save time
- Software is superpower
- I like books
- How do I decide to create a new project management application