If you use
create-react-appAnd you are running it locally on your computer. By default, it is provided using the HTTP protocol.
All applications running in production will use HTTPS (the secure version of HTTP) for services.
In most cases, HTTPS can be obtained almost effortlessly, especially if you use a modern platform like Netlify or Vercel to serve your application.
But locally... we have to be a bit more complicated.
Let's see how to do it!
As you know,
create-react-appApplication is running using
npm run start, Or simply
scriptsPart, we have this line:
"start": "react-scripts start"
change that to:
"start": "HTTPS=true react-scripts start"
This sets the
HTTPSenvironment variable to the
That’s not enough, though.
Now we also need to generate a local certificate. This step will work fine for any app, not just
create-react-appapps, but I will include it in this post, as a reference.
Note: I ran these commands on macOS. Linux should work in the same way. I don’t guarantee for Windows.
In the project root folder, run:
openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout keytmp.pem -out cert.pem -days 365
openssl rsa -in keytmp.pem -out key.pem
You should now have the files
key.pemin the folder.
Now change the
startscript in the
"start": "export HTTPS=true&&SSL_CRT_FILE=cert.pem&&SSL_KEY_FILE=key.pem react-scripts start",
If you ran
npm run start, and access
https://localhost:3000(or the port your app uses, if different - in my case it’s 3008), you should see this warning message:
To fix it on macOS, follow the instructions of my tutorial how to install a local certificate in macOS.
Once you do, you will be able to see the app without problems, served using SSL:
Download my free React Handbook
More react tutorials:
- A React simple app example: fetch GitHub users information via API
- Build a simple counter with React
- VS Code setup for React development
- How to pass props to a child component via React Router
- Create an app with Electron and React
- Tutorial: create a Spreadsheet using React
- The roadmap to learn React
- Learn how to use Redux
- Getting started with JSX
- Styled Components
- Introduction to Redux Saga
- Introduction to React Router
- Introduction to React
- React Components
- The Virtual DOM
- React Events
- The React State
- React Props
- The React Fragment
- The React Context API
- React PropTypes
- React concepts: declarative
- React: How to show a different component on click
- How to loop inside React JSX
- Props vs State in React
- Should you use jQuery or React?
- Introduction to Gatsby
- How to reference a DOM element in React
- Unidirectional Data Flow in React
- React Higher Order Components
- React Lifecycle Events
- React Concept: Immutability
- React Concept: Purity
- Introduction to React Hooks
- Introduction to create-react-app
- React Concept: Composition
- React: Presentational vs Container Components
- Code Splitting in React
- Server Side Rendering with React
- How to install React
- CSS in React
- Using SASS in React
- Handling Forms in React
- React StrictMode
- React Portals
- React Render Props
- Testing React components
- How to pass a parameter to event handlers in React
- How to handle errors in React
- How to return multiple elements in JSX
- Conditional rendering in React
- React, how to transfer props to child components
- How to get the value of an input element in React
- How to use the useState React hook
- How to use the useCallback React hook
- How to use the useEffect React hook
- How to use the useMemo React hook
- How to use the useRef React hook
- How to use the useContext React hook
- How to use the useReducer React hook
- How to connect your React app to a backend on the same origin
- The Reach Router Tutorial
- How to use the React Developer Tools
- How to learn React
- How to debug a React application
- How to render HTML in React
- How to fix the `dangerouslySetInnerHTML` did not match error in React
- How I fixed an issue with a React login form state and Browser autofill
- How to configure HTTPS in a React app on localhost
- How to fix the "cannot update a component while rendering a different component" error in React
- Can I use React hooks inside a conditional?
- Using useState with an object: how to update
- How to move around blocks of code with React and Tailwind
- React, focus an item in React when added to the DOM
- React, edit text on doubleclick